His Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) is a customer-focused organisation providing passports for British citizens and passport verification services. We employ over 4,000 people in a network of offices across the UK.
The General Register Office (GRO), part of HMPO, oversees the system of civil registration, including births, adoptions, civil partnerships, marriages and deaths, in England and Wales. We do this in partnership with a range of government departments and the 174 local authorities who provide the service directly to their local community.
To view a version of this video with Audio Description, please visit https://youtu.be/vg123ZeDhrg
Both HMPO and the GRO aim to provide a world class customer service. Each year our business:
- Issues circa 6 million passports
- Issues 1 million birth, death and marriage certificates
- Receives approximately 1.5 million birth, death and marriage registrations from partners in the Local Registration Service
- Handles over 70,000 adoption, birth, marriage and death registration cases
- Responds to over 6 million passport validation service requests.
HMPO aims to deliver uncompromising public protection, ensuring the integrity of the UK passport and supporting national security. UK passports have a reputation of being one of the most secure travel documents in the world.
HM Passport Office is undergoing a period of significant transformation with an aspiration of further improving our customer service by becoming a modern digital business. It is an exciting time to work in a part of government that touches the lives of the vast majority of the citizens of the UK.
What you could be doing
- Processing passport applications and issuing passports.
- Issuing birth, death and marriage certificates.
- Managing adoption, birth, marriage and death registration cases.
- Processing passport validation requests.
- Designing digital solutions to further enhance our services to customers.
The benefits of working in His Majesty’s Passport Office
We have a commitment to developing world class customer services, including through professional development. We also have clear development pathways for those in the Operational Delivery profession
We have a variety of roles providing opportunities to work in interesting and challenging roles, gaining valuable experience for your professional development. We are based in a range of locations across the UK, ensuring that candidates are not restricted by their location.
We also offer flexible working arrangements, including opportunities to work evenings if this is something that are suitable for your personal circumstances. Our IT systems provide scope for remote working. We are developing an annual recruitment calendar showing team members when vacancies for different grades and other related role types will be advertised. This will provide a structure around which team members can consider their own development and plan career steps.
Find out more about 500 roles we are currently recruiting for across Customer Services Group.