As trusted professionals, our customers and business partners rely on us to deliver innovative, expert HR solutions. We design and implement innovative, comprehensive and vital people-centred strategies to enhance the long-term health of the department and the Civil Service.
We offer opportunities to join the profession through several routes alongside mainstream recruitment, including the HR Fast Stream programme and apprenticeships. These programmes provide an opportunity to develop professional knowledge to advance your career alongside achieving a professional membership, which will further enhance your skills and CV.
What you could be doing
The kinds of issues you could be working on depend on the role type or ‘job family’ you work in. They include:
- HR Operations – providing a range of services through in-house shared services, including work on joiners and leavers.
- HR Business Partnering – a critical role identifying, developing and delivering people interventions in line with business objectives. Business Partners work closely with senior leaders to foster and nurture talent, leadership and culture, and develop people solutions to achieve the organisation’s objectives.
- Learning & Talent Development – attracting, identifying, developing, engaging, retaining and deploying individuals who are considered particularly valuable to the Home Office.
- Strategic Workforce Planning – ensuring we have the right resources, capability and talent in the right place at the right time to deliver our short, medium and long term priorities.
- Policy & Employee Relations – developing policies that align with the Home Office’s overarching objectives. This includes Trade Union engagement and areas of employee engagement such as employee forums and networks.
- Pay & Reward – ensuring people’s skills, behaviours and contributions are rewarded and recognised effectively.
- Diversity & Inclusion – tackling under-representation, building inclusive cultures and ensuring system accountability for progress. Our team goes beyond the basic legislative requirements to create and implement evidence-based, innovative approaches that drive change.
- Casework – providing expert advice, coaching and support to line managers on HR cases. Caseworkers deliver a key HR function by empowering line managers and supporting the business.
- Organisational Design & Development – supporting and facilitating people, team and organisations through change.
For more information on these different job families, see the Civil Service HR Career Framework.
The benefits of working in the HR team at the Home Office
The HR profession in the Home Office is a multi-disciplinary function, exposing its members to a range of high-profile, important and interesting work. This gives our people transferable skills, making them more attractive to current and future employers – both in HR and in other professions.
When you work with us, you’ll also have access to a network of skilled and experienced HR professionals. This will provide you with opportunities to learn from others and develop your skills. Plus, you’ll have the chance to become an HR and L&D professional and gain CIPD accreditation.
We’re recruiting HR Business Partners
We’re currently recruiting HR Business Partners. Check out our campaign page to learn more.