Are you looking for a new opportunity to learn while you earn? An apprenticeship in the Home Office provides just that. As an apprentice you’ll gain essential experience to build and strengthen professional knowledge and skills in the workplace whilst developing in your chosen career and realising your potential.
How do I become an apprentice?
Apprenticeships are work-based training programmes, typically longer than 12 months in duration, where you would spend 20 per cent of your contracted hours undertaking ‘off-the-job’ training with the support of your learning provider and Line Manager. This gives you the opportunity to gain professional certification or a qualification.
You can start an apprenticeship whether you’re at the beginning of your career, want a change or if you’re upskilling in your current job. You can have a previous qualification like a degree and still start an apprenticeship.
As an apprentice, you’ll:
- learn and train for a specific job
- get paid and receive holiday leave
- get hands-on experience in a real job
- study for at least 20% of your working hours – usually at a college, university or with a training provider
- complete assessments during and at the end of your apprenticeship
- be on a career path with lots of future potential
- be given extra training if you cannot provide evidence of previous qualifications in English or maths GCSE (level 2 grades A to C) so you’re at the right level
What apprenticeships does the Home Office offer?
The Home Office provides access to 30 apprenticeship standards, spanning seven primary professions. You can see the details on these below, with even more on offer from spring this year. The curriculum is varied, interesting and evolves to meet future skills and business requirements. These range from A-level equivalent to degree-level covering topics including operational delivery, customer service, finance, digital and cyber, project management, communications, finance, leadership and management, HR and business administration.
Leadership and Management
Leadership and management apprenticeships are designed to strengthen management capabilities by focusing on strong communication, organisation and analytical skills. The aim is for leaders to improve engagement with their teams and get the best from them, increasing performance and productivity as a result.
- Level 3 Team Leader Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 5 Operations or Departmental Manager Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 6 Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 7 Senior Leader Apprenticeship Standard
An apprenticeship in project management gives you the skills to take projects from conception through to delivery, using recognised tools to manage risk, finance and quality. You will develop an understanding of the main principles of project management, enhancing your role as a project management professional.
- Level 4 Associate Project Manager Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 6 Project Management Apprenticeship Standard
An apprenticeship in operational delivery gives you the understanding of the mechanism of your organisation. You will be given the skills to evaluate and improve your professional capability enhancing the service to customers.
A business administration apprenticeship combines elements of business, economics and critical thinking. It gives you the required qualifications, skills and practical experiences to take on more responsibility and gain a higher level of business and management understanding that can be applied to a range of administrator roles.
A Human Resources apprenticeship gives you the skills and understanding you’ll need in the HR environment and the grounding to become an HR professional.
- Level 3 Human Resources Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 5 Human Resource Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 5 Learning and Development Consultant Apprenticeship Standard
Digital and technology apprenticeships provide an opportunity to learn technical skills in a range of roles and are at the heart of the digital transformation of services for the public. They play a major role in the ‘digital by default’ agenda of the Civil Service.
- Level 3 Software Development Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 Cyber Security Technologist Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 Data Analyst Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 Information Systems Business Analyst Standard
- Level 4 Network Engineer Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 DevOps Engineer Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 6 Digital and Technology Solutions Degree
A customer service apprenticeship gives you the right skills to influence the customer experience and deliver high levels of customer satisfaction within your organisation.
A commercial apprenticeship will give you an understanding of the supply chain and contract management.
Data Science is a broad and fast-moving field spanning maths and statistics, software engineering and communications. Data Scientists blend experience and knowledge from a wide range of fields and organisations, and continuously seek to expand their range of technical skills.
A financial apprenticeship gives you the skills to support internal and external customers, by giving you the grounding to become a well-rounded finance professional.
- Level 3 AAT Assistant Accountant Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 AAT Professional Accounting Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 ACCA Professional Accounting Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 ICAEW Professional Accounting Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 4 CIMA Professional Accounting Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 7 ACCA Accounting Professional Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 7 CIMA Accountancy Professional Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 7 CIPFA Professional Accountant Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 7 ICAEW Accountancy Professional Apprenticeship Standard
An apprenticeship in policy gives you the knowledge, skills and behaviours that will enable you to become a competent entry level policy professional. You will learn about the various stages of the policy making process, from development of a policy, through to implementation and delivery, and evaluating the effectiveness of a policy.
You can view all our current opportunities, including apprenticeships, on the Civil Service Jobs website.
There are no current vacancies for this role. View all our current roles and apply