The Commercial Directorate is a key function within the Home Office. Our 300 staff support the Home Office to deliver its mission by procuring and managing third-party contracts valued at £3bn every year.
The goods and services we buy range from accommodation for asylum seekers to passport printing services, and from new staff uniforms to food for Border Force sniffer dogs. We also provide assurance for a similar level of grant funding, which is awarded to third parties, charities and other organisations to help the Home Office deliver its commitments.
Our team works closely with the Cabinet Office, providing direction on specific activities such as modern slavery and ensuring we meet all of the professional and commercial standards set by the Government Commercial Function.
We regularly seek to recruit enthusiastic individuals who can help support the delivery of our objectives and build our reputation as a team who are trusted to deliver value for money from our contracts.
What you could be doing
The Commercial Directorate supports the full commercial lifecycle, so many of our roles are focused on contract management and procurement activities. This includes implementing contract management plans for our most critically important contracts to ensure delivery of the goods or services at the standards, performance and cost as agreed in the contract. We also monitor commercial risks and measure benefits.
Working for us means you could be:
- Administering contract changes, ensuring that change management processes are followed and that the commercial consequences are properly controlled
- Managing suppliers, including consolidating performance data against set KPIs and producing regular reports summarising performance
- Managing the procurement phase of the commercial lifecycle, from requirements definition to evaluating bids, and from leading supplier negotiations to awarding contracts
- Maintaining close working relationships with Home Office customers, helping them navigate the commercial approvals and assurance processes and ensuring value for money
- Setting commercial policy and strategy, financial modelling, providing governance and assurance against standards, running our commercial systems and providing reports.
The benefits of working in the Commercial Directorate at the Home Office
The Commercial Directorate offers the opportunity to be at the heart of government, working closely with our business partners to enable them to deliver Home Office priorities. Working at the centre of the department, the Commercial Directorate has visibility of all of the major programmes and strategic deliverables which contribute to our mission.
We offer a range of training opportunities, including support for professional qualifications via the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (where relevant).
Interested in making a difference? View our Commercial and Procurement vacancies and apply