The Home Office works to build a safe, fair and prosperous UK. We achieve this through our work on counter-terrorism, policing, fire, crime, drugs policy, immigration and passports. We’re advertising 218 Customer Service jobs based in Sheffield. You can learn more about these roles, including how to apply, below.
Customer Services Group brings together Asylum & Protection, Her Majesty’s Passport Office and UK Visas & Immigration. As a major operational part of the Home Office, we play a vital role in supporting the economy and cultural life of the UK.
Our vision is for everyone, no matter their role, to be able to make decisions that will help place our customers’ needs at the centre of what we do. Our priorities are to ensure that customers’ voices are heard and that we strive to improve
Our customers range from UK citizens applying for passports to foreign nationals wishing to come to/stay in the country for visits, work, study or to be with family or seek refuge as asylum seekers.
Our roles are challenging and complex, as we seek to safeguard the vulnerable and their host communities whilst ensuring our borders are safe and controlled.
What you’ll be doing
These are primarily decision maker roles, but there may also be opportunities to work in one of our other customer service jobs in Sheffield.
If you are allocated to a decision-making role, you will be checking documents that have been sent in support of an online application from someone who wants to visit or study in the UK. You will be expected to work to daily targets and performance will be monitored against quantity produced as well as the quality and accuracy of decision.
Other areas in which you could be placed range from business planning to working within customer and external relations teams.
Candidates are expected to be both flexible and adaptable as there may be a requirement to work across all work areas, depending on business need.
Whichever role you are allocated, you will receive comprehensive training and support. And you will be joining a profession and an organisation with clear and transparent career progression, as well as access to a wide range of development opportunities.
These customer service jobs will be based in Sheffield and will vary between fully office-based and hybrid working. Hybrid working enables employees to work partly in their workplace(s) and partly at home. However, this is not guaranteed, and all successful candidates should be willing, from the outset, to attend the office 100 per cent of their time if the role they are offered requires this.
We offer competitive starting salaries on the scale of £24,883 to £27,372 max, a Civil Service Pension with employer contribution rates of at least 26.6%, and a range of other brilliant benefits including flexible working and 25 days annual leave on appointment, rising with service.
More about the role
£24,883 min, £27,372 max
Your duties could include:
- Using complex guidance and policy to consider and make well-judged decisions on customer applications
- Delivering against time and quality targets, but always providing excellent customer service
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with customers and internal/external stakeholders to deliver what is required
- Managing team in boxes and drafting responses to correspondence and complaints
- Explaining complex decisions in a concise, clear manner both verbally and in writing
- Effective management of a complex caseload
- Supporting colleagues to deliver performance of a high standard
- Knowledge of Microsoft software including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Experience of casework or working in a casework environment
- Experience of inbox management and dealing with customer correspondence
- Experience of line management
- Experience of using management information to monitor performance
- Experience of working with external stakeholders
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths and Experience. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
You will submit your application through the online civil service recruitment portal, Civil Service Jobs.
1. Statement of Suitability
You should submit a Statement of Suitability (Max Word Limit: 500) which explains why this appointment interests you and provide evidence of how you meet the essential criteria set out above as well as how your personal skills, qualities and experience make you suitable for the role.
2. The interview
If you are successful at sift stage you will be invited to interview, which will use Behaviour- and Strength-based questions.
The interview will be conducted online using Skype for Business, so you will need to have access to this software along with a laptop with a working webcam and good Internet access.
The closing date for applications was 23:55 on Monday 12 September 2022.