The Home Office works to build a safe, fair and prosperous UK. We achieve this through our work on counter-terrorism, policing, fire, crime, drugs policy, immigration and passports. We’re advertising 400 jobs in our Customer Services Group at locations across the UK. You can learn more about these roles, including how to apply, below.
Customer Services Group brings together Asylum & Human Rights, Asylum Support and Dispersal, Asylum Accommodation Centres, Asylum Accommodation Centres, Resettlement Group, Passports, Citizenship & Civil Registration, Customer Operations Support Services and UK Visas & Immigration. As a major operational arm of the Home Office, we play a vital role in supporting the economy and cultural life of the UK.
You can also view a version of this video with Audio Description
About the campaign
We are recruiting 400 Executive Officers to work in roles across our Customer Services teams. In all these roles you will work to clear guidance and frameworks. You will also be expected to ensure a high-quality service is delivered to customers.
If you are successful, you will be posted to a role according to geographical location and business need. Due to the scale of the campaign, we will be unable to ask your preference regarding the type of role we offer you. However, most roles on offer are similar. We have listed all our locations below; the number of roles available in each location will vary.
Training will be provided for all roles. Part time and flexible working roles are available, but for the majority of roles there will be an initial full time training requirement.
The roles available will vary between a requirement to be fully office-based and hybrid working. Please be aware that whilst some hybrid roles may be available this is not guaranteed. You should be willing, from the outset, to attend the office 100% of your working hours if your role requires this.
We offer competitive starting salaries, along with a Civil Service Pension with employer contribution rates of at least 26.6%, as well as a range of other brilliant benefits including flexible working and 25 days annual leave on appointment, rising with service.
Meet the Team
We will be holding online recruitment Q&A events via Microsoft Teams Live at the dates and times shown below. Clicking on the relevant link below will take you to a page where you can register for the event. There is no requirement to attend an event in order to apply for these roles.
- Thursday 27th April 2pm – 3pm
- Wednesday 3rd May 6pm – 7pm
- Tuesday 9th May 2pm – 3pm
- Monday 15th May 6pm – 7pm
More about the roles
- Ramsgate (Manston)
- National: £25,750 – £27,650
- London: £29,750 – £31,950
- Ability to use IT systems proficiently.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Providing accurate information in a professional and helpful manner by collecting and assessing relevant data and information from various sources.
- Working positively with internal and corporate partners and stakeholders.
- Prioritising workloads in accordance with operational procedures to achieve targets and standards and updating systems accurately within agreed timeframes.
- Leading a team to deliver a good customer service, whilst carrying out the required management functions to fully support the team.
- Using feedback from a variety of stakeholders to assist in identifying any learning and development to be fully efficient in the role.
- Considering large amounts of information to fully inform the requirements of the role and to produce clear and correct outcomes.
- Conducting interviews to the required Home Office standard ensuring all information necessary is obtained.
- Demonstrating sensitivity, emotional resilience and understanding of the needs of vulnerable customers throughout the process.
- Through your behaviour and ways of working help make Home Office an inclusive place where people can be their best.
Your duties could include but would not be limited to:
- Using complex guidance and policy to consider and make well-judged decisions on customer applications, considering a range of options
- Having responsibility for effective personal and team delivery
- Delivering against timeliness and quality targets, providing excellent customer service
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with customers and both internal/external stakeholders to deliver what is required
- Managing team inboxes and drafting responses to correspondence and complaints
- Articulating complex decisions in a concise, clear manner verbally and in writing
- Effective management of a complex caseload
- Supporting colleagues to deliver performance of a high standard
If posted to a line management role you may also be required to:
- Lead teams to provide the best possible service to our customers and stakeholders
- Support staff in the development of their knowledge and skills
- Manage individuals in line with Home Office policies linked to Attendance, Conduct and Performance
- Manage the workflow of an operational team
We will assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions (Lead behaviour)
This vacancy uses Success Profiles and will assess your Strengths, Experience and Behaviours. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
You will submit your application through the online civil service recruitment portal: .
1. Statement of Suitability
You will be asked to submit a Statement of Suitability of no more than 250 words explaining concisely how you meet the Essential Criteria outlined above.
2. The interview
If you are successful at sift stage, you will be invited to an interview which will use a mixed approach of strength- and behaviour-based questions. Your interview will be via Launch pad, which is a virtual platform. A full explanation of how this works will be provided to you, but you will need to have access to a laptop or computer with a working webcam and good Internet access.
Strength based questions seek to find out what people enjoy and when they are at their best. They are less about what they can do. There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. It is important that you answer the questions as openly and honestly as you can, thinking about the kind of work that you enjoy doing and the role you are applying for.
The closing date for applications is 23:55 on 22nd May 2023