The Home Office works to build a safe, fair and prosperous UK. We achieve this through our work on counter-terrorism, policing, fire, crime, drugs policy, immigration and passports.
We’re currently recruiting for 35 Immigration Officers to work in the National Command and Control Unit (NCCU), which is part of Immigration Enforcement based in Salford. You can learn more about these roles, including how to apply, below.
Immigration Enforcement is an Operational Command of the Home Office, which works with law enforcement and cross-government partners to tackle serious and organised immigration crime. The NCCU is the 24/7 and 365 days a year central point of contact for all UK police forces. In addition, we work with partners nationwide to enforce immigration laws fairly whilst protecting and safeguarding the vulnerable in the UK.
The NCCU also acts as a Central Communications Hub for Immigration Enforcement. We identify incidents of a sensitive, high-profile nature and provide expert support and coordination to teams involved in managing migration and borders.
About the NCCU
The NCCU is a contact centre environment. The team efficiently and accurately handles approximately 12,500 telephone enquiries per month. We’re looking for people with strong team ethics, personal resilience and discipline who can work in a call centre environment.
You will be located at the Soapworks in Salford, Greater Manchester.
NCCU currently operates a hybrid working model, where a minimum of 40% weekly attendance in the office is required.
You will join the team on a fixed shift rota and will be expected to undertake the full range of shifts including Early, Mid, Late and Night shifts. This includes weekend and Public Holiday working. You will be placed on a rolling 6-week rota and will have your shifts mapped out 12 months in advance, although these can change subject to business need. An allowance of 39% of your salary is paid to compensate for shift working. The NCCU is a uniformed unit and therefore any successful applicant will be required to wear the appropriate uniform whilst working in the office.
We offer competitive starting salaries – further details below – a Civil Service Pension with employer contribution rates of at least 26.6%, Hybrid working and a range of other brilliant benefits including flexible working and 25 days annual leave on appointment, rising with service.
A bespoke learning and development package tailored to your role.
These roles also attract an annualised hours working allowance of around 39%. See below for further details.
Find out more about some of the other benefits we offer.
Meet the Team
We will be holding online recruitment Q&A events via Microsoft Teams Live at the dates and times shown below. Clicking on the relevant link below will take you to a page where you can register for the event. There is no requirement to attend an event to apply for these roles.
More about the roles
Soapworks, Salford, Greater Manchester
- £24,883 – £27,372
These roles also attract an annualised hours working allowance of 39%, which is paid on top of your basic salary. This equates to an additional payment of £9500 on top of your basic annual salary.
We are looking for people to our team who have:
- The ability to work in a 24/7 365 day a year demanding, fast-paced, and pressurised call- centre environment.
- The ability to deal with incoming telephone enquiries accurately and efficiently from agreed stakeholders and partners
- The ability to prioritise work and achieve challenging deadlines.
- Strong personal resilience. This is a key element for the role as some of the enquiries you will deal with maybe challenging and difficult.
- A strong sense of integrity and ethics as some of the enquiries you will deal with will be high profile and of a sensitive nature
- A commitment to Continuous Improvement and the delivery of best practice.
- Adaptability, flexibility and are solution focused.
- Professional behaviors associated with a customer focused organization
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills
This is a demanding role which will require the candidate to:
- Have flexibility in their approach. They must be able to prioritise their work to meet tight deadlines and complete enquiries.
- Be confident in using their own knowledge, complex guidance & policy to consider and make well-judged decisions.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills. They must be able to present their findings to a high standard to key stakeholders and all levels of seniority.
- They will need to work well individually and as part of a team, having responsibility for effective personal and team delivery.
At interview we will assess you against this behaviour:
- Making effective decisions
This vacancy uses Success Profiles and will assess your Strengths, Ability, Experience and Behaviours. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
You will submit your application through the online civil service recruitment portal: Civil Service Jobs.
1. Online tests
For the initial part of the application, you will be requested to complete an online Civil Service Situational Judgement Test. Candidates who successfully pass the test will be invited to continue with their application. Find out more about Civil Service Online tests
Candidates are encouraged to take the test early in the process to ensure they can complete their application in a timely manner.
2. Statement of Suitability
Following successful completion of the test, you will be asked to provide:
- a statement of suitability (maximum 500 words) explaining why this appointment interests you and providing evidence of how you meet the essential criteria set out above
3. The interview
If you are successful at sift stage you will be invited to interview, which will be held Skype for Business or Microsoft Teams. The interview will use a blended approach of strength-based questions (no preparation necessary) and behaviour-based questions.
The closing date for applications is 23:55 on Friday 2nd December 2022.