The Home Office works to build a safe, fair and prosperous UK. We achieve this through our work on counter-terrorism, policing, fire, crime, drugs policy, immigration and passports.
We’re recruiting HR Business Partners to work in our offices at Croydon, London, Folkestone, Liverpool, Sheffield or Manchester. The deadline for applications is 23:55 on 29th February, 2024.
HR teams enable business leaders to improve organisational performance and efficiency through workforce planning, leadership development, transformational change, workforce capability and upskilling, employee engagement and talent development to create a place where people thrive, feel proud and belong.
About the role
Joining the Home Office as an HR Business Partner will provide you with the opportunity to directly influence senior leaders responsible for implementing ministerial priorities. For an ambitious HR professional, the scope, benefits and development opportunities offered by the role are immense.
Our HR Business Partners work alongside senior managers in different areas of the Home Office to provide an independent view and strategic HR input on a range of critical business issues, often characterised by ambiguity and often at pace. No two days are the same, and resilience and the ability to flex between transactional and strategic activities is key.
As HR Business Partners, you will be central to enabling the organisation to achieve its transformation outcomes. This role is varied: you may be involved with critical incidents, required to provide important data for ministerial briefings and advise on high profile casework or policy that attracts media scrutiny.
This is an opportunity to get involved with driving significant change programmes and strategic initiatives that will fundamentally change how the Home Office operates. As an HR Business Partner, you will be at the heart of driving, developing and delivering change.
In addition to current vacancies, we are also seeking interest for future vacancies for the role of HR Business Partner. If successful, you will be placed on a reserve list. Reserve lists will be held for 12 months, and we cannot guarantee there will be roles available within the period.
Meet the Team
We’ll be holding online events where you can meet members of the team, learn more about the roles, how to apply and ask any questions. There’s no requirement to attend these events in order to apply.
Click on the slot you’re interested in to register for the event.
Where business needs allow, some roles may be suitable for a combination of office and home-based working. This is a non-contractual arrangement where all employees will be expected to spend a minimum of 60% of their working time in an office, subject to local estates capacity, by Spring 2024. Applicants can request further information regarding how this may work in their team from the Vacancy Holder. See advert for contact details.
We offer competitive starting salaries, along with a Civil Service Pension with employer contribution rates of at least 26.6%, as well as a range of other brilliant benefits including flexible working and 25 days annual leave on appointment, rising with service.
More about the roles
National: £57,000 min, £62,700 max
London: £61,000 min, £67,100 max
- Enabling senior business leaders to deliver their business strategy by understanding their priorities and challenges and supporting on fit for purpose people plans, taking a coaching approach where needed.
- .Co-ordinating, aligning and leveraging the HR function and shared services to deliver business solutions and meet customer needs.
- Supporting change initiatives and building organisation culture, values and environment to improve organisational performance, effectiveness and flexibility.
- Working alongside senior managers to build capability in line with strategic goals to maximise skills and resource deployment across a diverse workforce.
- Acting as the HR lead in the development of organisational design, structures and resource plans.
- Supporting senior leaders to enable workforce transformation providing professional HR advice and expertise as needed on restructures and TUPE.
- In partnership with shared service colleagues, provide wrap around support to management of complex, sensitive or high-profile employee cases, such as conduct, or grievance, and support business areas with the implementation of a range of HR processes such a talent, succession planning and Senior Civil Service recruitment.
- Working collaboratively and with agility to thrive within a business which relies on constant innovation and change, promote a unified Home Office and wider Civil Service HR Profession.
Please note: An employee may be required to carry out other duties within the scope of the grade and within the limits of their skill, competence and training.
- Experience of HR business partnering or partnering leaders in operational and strategic HR is vital.
- Ability to credibly partner and influence a range of senior stakeholders across complex networks, on a range of people priorities and plans.
- Successful track record in of using an evidence-led approach to shape, create and implement strategic people interventions/plans across a diverse workforce to improve business performance.
- Leading self, teams and business leaders through ambiguity and organisational change.
- Resilience in managing a range of conflicting priorities, often at pace, understanding roles can frequently be pressurised and priorities varied.
- Experience of analysing and interpreting complex data to formulate and engage collaborators on sound people recommendations, decision making, plans and activities.
- Minimum of CIPD qualified (level 5). We may consider international qualifications where applicants can demonstrate equivalence.
- Working towards, or willing to work towards, Chartered (level 7) status within 18 months.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
This vacancy is using Success Profiles and will assess your Behaviours and Experience. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete a CV detailing your job history, qualifications and skills. Your CV will not be scored.
- Statement of suitability
You will be asked to complete a statement of suitability (no more than 1250 words)
to demonstrate your skills and experience for the role and how you meet the essential criteria as detailed in the job description. It is important to use headings for each essential criterion in order to help us accurately assess your application. Poorly written and evidenced applications may result in not passing the sift stage.
The sift will be held on the statement of suitability.
If you are successful at sift stage you will be invited to an interview, which will be comprised of behaviour-based questions. At interview, candidates will be asked to deliver a short presentation. Details will be provided prior to interview.
The sift is expected to take place from 4th March.
Interviews are expected to take place from 8th April.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert; however on occasions these dates may change.
Interviews will be carried out via video call. Candidates will be required to have access to a laptop with a working webcam, good internet connection and Microsoft Teams.
Please note: a location-based reserve list of successful candidates will be kept for 12 months. Should another role or similar role become available within that period you may be offered this position.
When completing your application, you will have the opportunity to select your preferred location(s). Please ensure you select all locations you are interested in. Candidates who are successful at interview will be placed in order of merit per location and provisional job offers will be made in strict merit order per location preference. Provisional offers are made, as they are on condition that you successfully pass all pre-employment checks.
If you are interested in one of these roles, please apply using the button below.